Note: Starting July 1st 2023, Universal Analytics will be deprecated and replaced by GA4. Please follow this article for more information: Google Analytics 4 Integration (GA4)
Integration between Creator Studio and Google Analytics (GA) is easy and only requires a few steps if you already have a GA account (if not, follow this link). This article will show how to integrate your GA account with Creator Studio and underline where the experience information is sent and what data you receive.
Creator Studio - Google Analytics Integration
The first step is to find your Tracking ID in Google Analytics:
- Sign in to your Analytics account and select the Admin tab.
- Select an account from the dropdown in the ACCOUNT column.
- Select a property from the dropdown in the PROPERTY column.
- Under PROPERTY, click Tracking Info > Tracking Code.
The next page will display an overview of tracking information. We are only interested in the Tracking ID, so just copy that from the page.
Once you have the Tracking ID:
- Login to Creator Studio, mouse over the cog icon at the top and click "Set Up Analytics". Alternatively, you can go to this address.
- Paste the Tracking ID in the input field in the middle of the Setup Analytics page for Google Analytics.
Creator Studio Experience Event Data
Once the integration between Creator Studio and your Google Analytics account is established, then data will start to populate the account when users interact with the Experience on your web site. Let us focus on some recommendations, what data is sent, which format and where this valuable information can be found in you GA Account.
We recommend to use a Universal Analytics library (analytics.js) to ensure data is collected correctly as our platform uses analytics.js behind the scenes. We recommend that you have upgraded your Google Analytics property as outlined in Google's Universal Analytics Upgrade Center. If this is not possible, you may alternately create a new Universal Analytics property and use that for tracking instead.
What data is sent?
Creator Studio Experiences currently track and send specific events over to Google Analytics You can find here the full list of events and their format. Creator Studio does not send Page Views as that is expected to be done by the existing GA tracking on the page. For help on creating Segments in GA, please refer to this article here.
Where can I see this data in my Google Analytics Account?
Creator Studio Experience data will be sent as Events in the GA Account. For more details about Events please refer to this article.
- Under GA home page, select the "All Web Site Data"
- Creator Studio Experiences events can be found under Behavior > Events > Overview. If unable to find it, you can search for "Events" in the search field on the top left corner.
- Event Overview will display the Event Category, with its Actions and Labels. When clicking on any of them, you will get a detailed view for Event Category or Action or Label.
- Data sent over from the Creator Studio Experience Events are visible as Event Label. E.g. - If you want to see which URL was open when clicking a Lightbox in Creator Studio, you would select the Event Action "Open Lightbox" and click the Event Label tab. Its value shows the data sent from the Creator Studio Analytics: Training Page;1;https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/8705627769844819714, with its Experience Name, current scene number and lightbox URL. Below you can see how to navigate by selecting the Zmags integration category, which will present you all the tracked actions. Each action has got labels which present the actual data sent. From there, you can generate report and see user interaction with Creator Studio.